Saturday, December 12, 2009

Nice vs. Nasty

I have been seeing some neat bucks this year in the Book Cliffs. I just fell in love with a big old nasty 2x3. He had a huge frame, massive body, gnarly bases, a couple cheaters, and one of his eyes had been gouged out fighting. Not some peoples idea of a trophy buck, but all that character and nastiness makes him awesome to me. I would love to take a buck like him.


I also saw a buck that would probably meet most hunters definition of a trophy. A wide, symmetrical, clean 4 point. He was impressive too, but I still like my nasty buck. I am not sure what I would do if I had to choose between them.


This buck was still in full velvet in late November, typically a sign of missing the family jewels which logically has a negative affect on testosterone levels.


This is my favorite time of year in the Book Cliffs.

2 comments:

Grandma Beaner said...

My vote is also on the old, nasty buck with all the character. Loved the photos of both. Missing the family jewels, huh, on the younger one? What a shame.

Accuracy Sports said...

That wide 4X4 would be hard to pass up.