Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Red Hartebeast

The Red Hartebeast is an interesting looking creature. They seem to like to hang out in the lower grasslands in large herds. All the Hartebeast we saw were extremely skittish and didn't stick around long. My friend Ken took a Hartebeast with some really quick reflexive shooting after we surprised an old bull as we crested a Kalahari dune. After several days of hunting I was beginning to wonder if I would ever have a chance to take a Hartebeast bull. We were moving slowing through the bottom of a wash when our tracker George told me that he had caught a glimpse of Hartebeast in the thick brush.



I got ready, and we kept moving. Suddenly a herd of animals started running across the opening in the bottom of the wash. They looked like red streaks, and I thought that once again I had missed an opportunity at the wary Red Hartebeast. Then I noticed a straggler that had not yet crossed the opening, he hung up as he paused to take a fateful look to see exactly what it was that had spooked the others. I didn't waste any time and I quickly took a shot at 330 yards. It was a hit, but he took off on a dead run. I started to question my shot placement considering the distance and haste with which I had made the shot. We moved to the spot where he had entered the bush, and starting tracking. It is amazing to watch the native trackers work. They seem to track as much by instinct as they do by following sign.



Not long into our tracking I saw some pink frothy lung blood. This was followed by more blood, a drop here, a smear on a blade of grass there, we knew he was close.



The blood lifted my spirits, and I stopped doubting my shot. Soon George and Alfred were waving at me to come to the front and be ready. We saw the old bull walking along, I put another 225 grain slug into his front shoulder at 104 yards. He didn't even flinch. I racked another shell into the chamber and put another one in him.





Finally the tough old Gold Medal bull went down. I was so impressed with the trackers. What a thrilling hunt! In its' own unique way the Red Hartebeast is quite handsome.






1 comment:

Accuracy Sports said...

A red hartebeast went in to a bar and ordered a cold one. The bar tender asked "Why the long face?"

Actually, they are tough and wary. congratulations!!